You wouldn’t want to risk complications or harmful side effects with any medical procedure. Making an informed decision about abortion helps protect your health.
The abortion pill (medical abortion) uses drugs to end a pregnancy. Determining your eligibility is one way to determine whether this option is possible.
Life’s Choices Women’s Clinic provides no-cost, confidential information about all your options, including abortion. We won’t refer for or provide abortions, but we do ensure you have the facts you need.
Who Cannot Take the Abortion Pill?
The abortion pill consists of two drugs, mifepristone and misoprostol. Mifepristone blocks progesterone, and misoprostol induces uterine contractions that expel the pregnancy and associated tissue from the body.
With the abortion pill method, you’ll always have abdominal cramping and vaginal bleeding. But your risk of complications increases if you’re ineligible to take these drugs.
Possible ineligibility factors include:
- You have an intrauterine device (IUD) in place. This must be removed first.
- You have certain medical conditions (i.e., bleeding disorders, heart disease).
- You have a suspected ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy that grows outside the uterus).
- You take a blood thinner or certain steroid medications.
- You have an allergy to either of the drugs used.
- You can’t make follow-up visits or access emergency care.
Before Making a Decision
Before making any pregnancy decision, you should confirm crucial pregnancy details with an ultrasound. We offer limited ultrasounds to verify the following:
- Viability (whether your pregnancy has a heartbeat and is progressing)
- Gestational age (how far along you are)
- Location (whether your pregnancy is in the uterus or another area)
You should also speak with a medical provider, especially if you are considering the abortion pill. They can review your health history and determine your eligibility.
Options counseling can help you determine whether abortion, adoption, or parenting is best for you. Life’s Choices Women’s Clinic offers this service at no cost.
We’re Standing Beside You
Life’s Choices Women’s Clinic provides no-cost, confidential pregnancy services. We’re a medical facility with trained nurses and also offer telehealth care.
You and your situation matter to us. Contact us today to book an appointment.